raising the roof
Put a CAP on Youth Homelessness
For several years, Homeward Trust has partnered with Raising the Roof to organize a local campaign to sell toques throughout our community. Raising the Roof is a registered, national charity dedicated to finding long-term solutions to the growing problem of homelessness in Canada.
The annual campaign runs from November until the end of February, with a special emphasis on the downtown core on Toque Tuesday, the first Tuesday of February.
Toques are sold at a donation of $10.00. Eighty per cent of the proceeds support local youth initiatives, while the remaining 20 per cent help fund YouthWorks, a national youth initiative.
Toque Tuesday 2014
On February 4, 2014, Toque Tuesday, wear your toque in support of youth homelessness. Homeward Trust staff, volunteers and community partners will take to the streets to sell toques in local LRT stations and City Hall.
How YOU can get involved
1. Buy a toque. Toques will be for purchase through our office or online in November 2012.
2. Help us sell toques. We will provide you with posters, tent cards, flyers and the toques; available in several colours and designs.
You can sell toques:
- In the workplace—in your common area or kitchen—advertise a time and date when you will sell the toques. On that day set up a table with the toques on display and provide information on the campaign. Encourage your colleagues to purchase a toque or two!
- In your community—invite your neighbours and friends to purchase a toque; encourage them to sell toques to their friends and neighbours!
- On Toque Tuesday: volunteers will help us sell toques to community members; it’s a great way to meet people and make them aware of homelessness issues. You can either purchase toques from us or you can sell them on our behalf—whichever works for you!
If you have any questions regarding Raising the Roof or Toque Tuesday contact:
Communications & Media Coordinator,
To learn more about the national campaign: www.raisingtheroof.org